Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Fall Recipes

Just listening to a little "Blessed Assurance" comfort music--comfort food, good combination!

Squash Soup

Squash Soup
1 lg buttercup squash (my favorite)
1 can chicken stock
Brown sugar
Butter
Pecans
Heavy Cream
Salt
Pepper
Little bit of Lawry's
Clean squash and bake until done (I cut in 1/2 and cover with foil)
While squash is baking caramelize pecans
--melt 2-3 tbls. butter in pan
--add 1/4 cup brown sugar
--stir in pecans
--keep stirring until well covered with a glazey look, cool spread on plate
When squash is done scoop out and mix with stock.
I then put in blender a bit at a time and puree.
Heat well in a kettle, adding salt, pepper, & Lawry's to taste
To serve
--scoop soup into bowls
--pour heavy cream around edges
--sprinkle caramelized pecans on top.
ENJOY!!!

Pumpkin Stew
1 pumpkin - top cut off & cleaned (make sure will fit in oven)
1-1&1/2 lb. Ground beef or any other cubed beef or pork you choose
1 large onion
few potatoes cubed
1/2 bag frozen mixed veggies
Beef bouillon (I get it from The Common Market)
Lawreys season salt
sea salt
pepper
any other season you enjoy or have on hand (the latter usually guides the
flavor of the food I cook)
I try to keep it to a 2 kettle operation.
Place pumpkin in round kettle (hey, is there a difference between a kettle and a pot?)
I use a footless cast iron dutch oven. (gives me that back woodsy feelin')
add 1-2 cups of water around pumpkin.
In large skillet brown meat with onions.
When it's 3/4 of the way done add about 3-4 cups water and all
other stuff including bouillon and seasonings.
Cook until Potatoes are 3/4 the way done.
Give a taste test to make sure you have enough seasons.
Gently scoop/dump into pumpkin
Bake 3-4 hours @ 350* depending on thickness and size of pumpkin. ( I check by lifting pumpkin lid and poking pumpkin on inside. Also check potatoes.)
--This year I used 2 pumpkins that were sm/med size.
--I also used dill--it fell into the "on hand" category. I will repeat
--We bought pumpkins from a local family produce farm, we had planted just carving ones, the skin is not tough enough to withstand he baking process or the scrap out when you dish up. They had painting pumpkins that were thick skinned. Next year will plant thick skinned flavorful pumpkins made for eatin'!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMMM!!! I have a deep-ribbed heirloom blue pumpkin that will be perfect for this! I think a couple of leftover uncooked porkchops and seasonings like stuffing would have...mmmmm...thankyou for sharing!!

Barb said...

Soup??? Looks like luscious dessert and I am now very hungry!
When are you gonna be ready for company? Are you recouped?
Good blogging!

~Daina Marie~ said...

oh my i love squash! my mom never makes it for me....